On this snowy night at the end of March (yes, I said snowy night…end of March), I was feeling comfort food (who wouldn’t be), but not the calories that go along with it.
I decided to make up my own recipe of cabbage rolls using healthier alternatives, such as ground turkey, light soup, and light cheese.
If you enjoy cabbage rolls, I suggest that you try this recipe. It is simple, cheap, tasty, and better yet, healthy. You could even make it more healthier and not add cheese….yeah, probably not.
Voilà, my recipe… and my pictures…my not so professional pictures.
What you will need for the meat mixture:
– 1 package of extra lean ground turkey
– 2 tsp of garlic
– 1 small onion
-1 small red and orange pepper
– 1/2 tsp of pepper
– 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
– 1/2 tsp of paprika
Chop veggies and then cook with spices and ground turkey
You will also need:
– 1 cup of brown rice *Next time I will only use 3/4 cup of rice – 1 cup of cooked rice is a little too much
After the rice is cooked, mix with the meat, veggies, and spices
– 1 head of cabbage (6 pieces) and boil for a few minutes, until cabbage is soft (but not too soft)
For the sauce, this is what I used:
– 2 cans of light Campbells tomato soup
– 1 tbsp of lemon juice
– 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
– 2 tbsp of Ketchup
I combined half of the sauce mixture with the rice and with the ground turkey.
Then I placed the meat/rice mix in the cabbage pieces and then formed my rolls. Take a look:
Once the rolls were made, I poured the rest of the sauce on top of the cabbage rolls. I also added 1 cup of light medium chedar cheese and then baked the rolls at 350 for 30 minutes.
Fresh from the oven – my colorie friendly cabbage rolls!
I Just had my first bite…delish!